What Will I learn From These Workshops?
The basic session, Understanding Behavior from the Outside In, will:
- Provide an overview of factors contributing to challenging behavior in young children;
- Systematically examine how external and internal factors impact behavior;
- Examine emotional reactions to challenging behavior;
- Provide strategies and tools that promote and utilize reflective thinking; and
- Outline methods to develop positive behavior plans that are reflective and respectful of the child, family and early educators.
The Training of Trainers session will:
- Prepare individuals in the community to support implementation of the concepts and strategies from the book Children with Challenging Behavior: Strategies for Reflective Thinking by Brault & Brault
What Can I Expect From These Presentations?
Understanding Behavior from the Outside In
- Understanding Behavior from the Outside In is a dynamic and engaging interactive learning experience that can be adapted to any size group, from 24 to 200.
- This highly interactive session introduces early educators to a systematic method for examining challenging behavior in group environments and provides an introduction to the book Children with Challenging Behavior: Strategies for Reflective Thinking, which can be used as an ongoing resource.
- Linda weaves stories from real children and families as well as from her own personal life into the material to bring the concepts to life. By making use of varying modes of presentation including handouts, small group discussions, visuals, power points, and videos, the session stays vibrant and fresh as important concepts are covered in-depth, including: contributing factors to challenging behavior; who challenges you and why; your own emotional reactions to behavior; why children engage in challenging behavior; reflective tools and techniques; and how t implement these practices successfully in the “real world.”
- Materials include the book Children with Challenging Behavior: Strategies for Reflective Thinking, many sample tools, a bibliography, and a PowerPoint™ handout summarizing the ideas being presented.
- Understanding Behavior is best done as a full day (six hours of presentation). Shorter versions may be available for keynotes or part-day presentations.
- An expanded, two-day version is available for those interested in further exploring the development of behavior support plans.
Training of Trainers Workshop
- The Training of Trainers (ToT) workshop prepares individuals in the community to support implementation of the concepts and strategies from the book Children with Challenging Behavior: Strategies for Reflective Thinking by Brault & Brault.
- This training is designed for individuals who will either be working within the early care and education settings in ongoing professional development or who work as behavioral health consultants.
- This session goes in-depth about methods to support reflective practice and systematic examination of multiple internal and external factors that influence the behavior of both adults and children. Many unique ideas and expanded activities are taught.
- Materials include a Training of Trainers manual with a CD-ROM containing all handouts and PowerPoint™ slides as well as the book Children with Challenging Behavior: Strategies for Reflective Thinking.
- Those attending the ToT Workshop should also have attended the general workshop, Understanding Behavior.
- Ideally, this workshop is given for one full day (between 5 and 6 hours). The ToT workshop is best done with a group of 50 or fewer individuals. In addition, those who have been trained may contact the presenter for follow-up support.
Uniting Families Through Positive Parenting
- Uniting Families is a special workshop designed to introduce the concept of positive parenting and prevention of challenging behavior to parents and family members of young children.
- This workshop can provide some common language and compatible approaches between home and school.
- This 75-minute presentation is ideal for parent nights.
Fore more information or to arrange a training session, contact Linda Brault by filling out this contact form or via email at email@example.com.
A list of other available workshop titles and descriptions available upon request.